The BHHA is a private non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the history and legacy of the Bishop Hill Colony. Our focus is historical preservation and educational programming.
The Heritage accomplishes its mission in a variety of ways:
• Owns and maintains nine buildings in Bishop Hill. Five of these structures are historic 1850’s Bishop Hill Colony Buildings: Steeple Building, Colony Store, Carpenter Building, Blacksmith Building, and Dairy Building.
• Operates two museums: the 1854 Steeple Building Museum and the 1908 Albert Krans Livery Stable Museum.
• Provides guided tours of Bishop Hill for schools and tour groups.
• Collects and maintains Colony genealogy information for research purposes.
• Organizes workshops, lectures, and concerts about our Swedish and rural roots.
• Hosts or co-hosts town-wide festivals, such as the Midsommar Music Festival, Bishop Hill Chautauqua, Jordbruksdagarna, Julmarknad, and Lucia Nights.
To learn more about the Bishop Hill Heritage Association, please check out the rest of our website.