Returning to our weekly look at the BHHA Collection, this week, we take a look at Bishop Hill’s Train Depots. The first depot was built in 1871, after the completion of the Rock Island & Peoria branch line. This station included a depot, siding track, and watering tank with two pipes. It was located at the east end of Lindstrom Street, just north of the Bishop Hill cemetery.
In 1901, a major realignment project resulted in the straightening of the track between Cambridge and Galva. This project also caused the Bishop Hill track and depot to be moved to a spot one mile east of town. In 1933, the depot was closed after passenger service was discontinued.
The accompanying photograph, from our archives, is of the first train depot.